April 10, 2019
As an athlete you can never be too prepared, too organized or even possibly know all the best triathlon preparation tips. Every race is different and needs to be looked at with fresh eyes. It takes sometimes new strategies, confidence, mental strength, skill, talent and technique to pull off a triathlon.
You need to maximize your potential and have an edge over your opponents. Review past performances where you excelled even though you were faced with adversity and race hardship.
Night Before Race
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Stay Hydrated
- Get Your KitBrix Bag Ready
- Lay Out All Your Kit
- Have a Checklist
- Study Course and What to Expect
- Tag Kit Items with name/phone
- Set Multiple Alarms
- Eat Protein/Healthy Fat (avocados, olives) fruit, veggies, beans
Morning of the Race
- Eat moderate protein I high carb foods (hard-boiled egg, peanut butter on toast, banana, vegetables) – increase total calories by 25-30%
- Gather your kit – Use checklist – Organize equipment
- Visualize being in the race. Be as vivid as possible.
- Wake up early
- Warm up – stretches, jogging, walking lunges, arm circles
- Study the race course. Know where aid stations are located.
- Practice transition – run through everything – wetsuit, cap, goggles, bike shoes, helmet
- Practice dismounting and changing clothing
- Bring all your gear to transition locations.
- Pack Swim: Tri shorts, tri suit, wetsuit, 2-sets of goggles (tinted/not tinted)
- Pack Bike: Bike, helmet, cycling socks/shoes, water bottle, sunglasses, nutritional bars, tool kit
- Pack Run: Running shoes, race belt, hat
- Pack Training Device (heart rate)
- Pack Post Race drink/snack and clothes to change into
During the Race
- Swim Tips: Know the swim course. How will you swim clockwise/or counter-clockwise?
- Look for landmarks prior to swim.
- If you’re a new swimmer or beginner – swim behind fast swimmers.
- Swim to your own pace – don’t get carried away
- Stay calm
- Bike Tips: Be aware of other riders
- Make yourself heard – when you pass a cyclist
- Keep hydrated
- Bring nutritional food – that is easy to eat
- Relax upper body
- Bring spare tubes and a pump
- Run Tips: Be aware of other runners
- Relax and Stay hydrated
- Pace yourself for the distance
- Bring 2 towels (wet/dry)
- Don’t sit down after the race.
- Walk around – beneficial for blood flow
- Grab water, snack on carbs/protein and fat to replenish glycogen storage
- Treat yourself to a massage at event or after
- Rest for a few days try to include short easy efforts
- Remember to hydrate often, recovery drinks are a great option
- Don’t forget to celebrate your achievement
- Write down some take away from the race – lessons learned
Remember — Get to race early. Secure your spot at the race. Warm up and look for landmarks. Believe in yourself, have fun and do your best.
Don’t forget — There will always be another race. Don’t beat yourself up, if things don’t go as planned.
KitBrix — the number one Triathlon organiser system in the UK, is thrilled to be partnering with Castle Triathlon Series. KitBrix has been officially named the exclusive triathlon bag for CTS. KitBrix will be significantly involved in all six Castle Triathlon Series events. As part of the partnership — KitBrix will be offering CTS triathletes a series of short useful articles on race preparation, advice for the athlete and educating the CTS audience on KitBrix — The Ultimate Training Race Day Organser Kit Bag.