The Castle Triathlon Series Terms & Conditions
“Adult” means a male of female participant aged 16 year of over.
“Agreement” means the terms by which a Third Party agrees to work with the Event Organiser in relation to Event.
“Aquabike” means Dual Discipline Event format of a swim and bike.
“Aquathlon” means Dual Discipline Event format of a swim and run.
“Bastion” means a full iron or long distance Event format for adults including a 3.8km swim, a 180.2km bike ride and a 42.2km run taking place at Hever Castle in July.
“Castle Run Series” means run only event taking place at any of the venues.
“Castle Swim Series” means a swim only event taking place any of the venues.
“Castle Virtual Series” means an array of Events the Participants can choose from to undertake during a time period designated by the Event Organiser.
“Charity” means the charity that has reserved the Charity Participant’s place in the Event.
“Charity Entry, Charity Place” means the distance format undertaken without payment by a participant in exchange for a specified fundraising pledge specified by the Charity. Subject to terms laid out at the end of this document under “Macmillan Cancer Support Terms & Conditions – Castle Triathlon Series”
“Charity Participant” means the person named on the Charity bond registration.
“Charity Partner” means a Charity that has formed an agreement with the Event Organiser.
“Conditions” means these terms and conditions of entry for the Event.
“CTS” means Castle Triathlon Series, a trading division of Matrix Events Limited.
“Cut-off Time” means the limit on the time taken to complete sections of the Event.
“Donation” means making a donation to a Charity Partner
“Dual Discipline Event” means any two of the three triathlon disciplines, such as Aquabike and Aquathlon
“Entry Fee” means the price of entry into the Event as set out in the Entry Form.
“Entry Form” means the online registration website pages which must be completed in order to participate in the Event.
”Event” means the event named on the Entry Form created by the Event Organiser.
“Event Information” means information provided by the Event Organiser in relation to the Event.
“Event Organiser” means Matrix Events Limited a company registered in England & Wales with company registration number 4225277. Castle Triathlon Series is a trading division of Matrix Events Limited.
“Event Partner” means a Third Party the Event Organiser has an Agreement with.
“Finish Time Results” means result service provided by a Third Party Event Partner.
“Gauntlet” “Le Gantelet” means a half iron or middle distance format for adults including a 1900m swim, a 90km bike and a 21km run taking place at all Castle Triathlon Series venues.
“Group Insurance Policy” Insurance Policy Wording laid out at the end of this document under “Yellow Jersey Terms & Conditions”.
“Insurance Policy Wording” means the Terms to which the Participant is bound if a purchase is made in relation to One day event cover for your Bike and Entry Fee Insurance.
“Mixed Team Relay” means the distance format whereby a team of 4 undertake a short triathlon each on after the other in relay.
“Olympic” means the standard Olympic distance format except at Cholmondeley Castle and Castle Howard where, due to the limitations of the local road networks, the bike sections are slightly longer (44km and 46km respectively).
“One day event cover for your Bike and Entry Fee” means the Group Insurance Policy opt in section on the Entry Form.
“Participant” means the person or persons named on the Entry Form who will be participating in the Event.
“Preparation Day” means a training day on a date notified by the Event Organiser for Participants in relation to Triathlon or Dual Discipline Events.
“Relay” means a group of 2 or 3 individuals who undertake the Event as a relay ie, one swims, one cycles and one runs.
“Sprint” means the Event distance format at the Lough Cutra Castle venue, which includes a 750m swim, a 20km bike and an 5km run.
“Sprint Plus”means the distance format at each venue, which includes a 800m swim, a 40km bike (subject to slight variations in distance dependent on the Event) and an 8km run.
“Super Sprint” means the distance format for adults including a 400m swim, a 20km bike (subject to slight variations in distance dependent on the Event) and a 4km run.
“Starter Tri” means the distance format for adults including a 200m swim, a 10km bike (subject to slight variations in distance dependent on the Event) and a 2km run.
“Static Triathlon” means the Event distance format of a 3 minute swim in an endless pool, 4 minutes on a cycle ergometer and a 3 minute run on a treadmill at the Pop Up City Triathlon.
“Supplier” means a Third Party the Event Organiser has an Agreement with.
“Third Party” means a Event Partner or Supplier to the Event Organiser
“Training Day” means a training day on a date notified by the Event Organiser for Participants in relation to Triathlon or Dual Discipline Events.
“Virtual” means an Event undertaken by the Participant at any time and location during a period of time designated by the Event Organiser
“Wave Number” means a specific number allocated to a group of Participants to commence their Event.
“Wave Time” means a specific time allocated for the start of a specific wave.
- 1. Acceptance of Conditions
These Conditions shall apply in place of and prevail over any terms or conditions (whether or not in conflict or inconsistent with these Conditions) contained or referred to in any documentation submitted by the Participant or in correspondence or elsewhere or implied by trade custom, practice or course of dealing. A variation of these Conditions is only valid if the Event Organiser gives notice to the Participant in writing in any official Event material or correspondence prior to the Event (including via email or other electronic means). All references to Participants shall include Charity Participants unless expressly stated otherwise.
The Participant shall be deemed to have accepted these Conditions upon completion of the Entry Form or in the case of Charity Participants, by completion of entry forms provided by their designated Charity, if applicable. By accessing and or completing the Entry Form, the Participant is agreeing to the Event Organiser making use of the data provided on the Entry Form for Event Information purposes and other marketing communications organised by the Event Organiser. The Event Organiser agrees that the Event Form email and or postal address data will not be passed on to any Third Parties, with the exception of any Event Partners who require Participant data to fulfil their Agreement, such are Timing Time Results and Participant photography. The Charity Partner will require Participant data relating to a Charity Place Participant and any Donation made during the Entry Form.
2.1 The Participant acknowledges that participation in the Event is physically strenuous. It is acknowledged that participation in the Event will be physically demanding and the Participant is aware of the nature of the Event and associated medical and physical risks involved.
2.2 The Participant agrees that he/she is physically capable of competing in the Event and agrees to be solely responsible for his/her actions and the Event Organiser, its officers, employees, agents, affiliates, associated companies, sponsors or medical advisers are not responsible for any injury or illness that the Participant may suffer as a result of his/her participation in the Event (unless caused due to the negligence of the Event Organiser). The Participant accepts that should any medical or physical condition arise prior to the Event which is likely to affect his/her ability to compete, the Participant will withdraw in accordance with these Conditions. The Participant acknowledges the exclusion of liability and indemnity provided in clause 5 of these Conditions.
2.3 The Participant agrees to abide by all applicable rules and regulations of the relevant sporting governing bodies, including British Triathlon Federation (BTF), Triathlon Ireland (“TI”) and the Fédération Française de Triathlon (“FFT”), that oversee the Event competition and Doping rules and the rules and regulations of the International Triathlon Union (“ITU”). The Participant shall not be entitled to a refund of the Event Fees if he or she is disqualified from the Event as a result of an infringement of these Conditions or any such rules and regulations. The Event Organiser is also entitled to impose Event rules upon the Participant from time to time which will form part of these Conditions. The relevant rules and regulations for triathlon Events may be obtained from https://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/races/rules/ and the www.britishtriathlon.org and www.triathlon.org or the equivalent websites in France and Ireland.
2.4 The Participant must complete the registration process (including if required to rack their bike) at the times and on the day as instructed by the Event Information, which will be issued by the Event Organiser before the Event.
2.5 It is the Participant’s responsibility to provide and use a roadworthy bicycle, helmet, or other safety requirements to ensure compliance with BTF, FFT or TI rules and regulations (depending on the country in which the race is held). If required the Participant will supply their bike for inspection.
2.6 It is the Participant’s responsibility to provide and use a wetsuit which complies with BTF rules and regulations.
2.7 The Event Organiser may introduce Cut-off Times as they see fit as part of the Event rules, being limits on the time taken to complete sections of the Event (as initiated by the Event Organiser at its discretion) to ensure the safe and proper running of the Event. Subsequently, competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event or race in accordance with imposed Cut-off Times.
2.7.1 For the avoidance of doubt, no refund of the Entry Fee will be made to the Participant if they do not meet the Cut-off Times imposed by the Event Organiser and advertised on the Event Organiser’s website.
2.8 The Event Organiser reserves the right at any time to remove Participants from the Event or prevent Participants participating in the Event if in the Event Organiser’s sole discretion, it considers such action necessary for safety reasons or the proper enjoyment of the Event by other Participants or for any other reasonable reason, including but not limited to the imposition of a Cut-off Time. No refund of the Event Fee shall be made if the Participant has acted negligently, maliciously, with wilful misconduct or otherwise without due care and attention for the Event or other participants, so as to cause his/her removal.
2.9 At registration, the Participant may be asked to produce appropriate photographic personal identification at the sole discretion of the Event Organiser (such as drivers licence or passport)
2.10 While the Event Organiser takes every care with the staging of the Event, the Participant acknowledges that personal accident and personal items insurance is his or her sole responsibility.
2.11 Age restrictions are applied to each multi discipline event in accordance with the British Triathlon Federation Rules and for the purposes or entry are applicable to the Participants age as of 31 December in the year in which the Participant is competing. In the case of the single discipline Events, Participants under recommended age restriction may participate in the distance Event at the sole discretion of the Event Organiser and with a signed Consent From by the Participant’s parent or guardian.
2.12 All decisions and rulings by the Event Organiser, its employees and its agents are considered final. Accordingly, the Participant will comply with all Event rules and all instructions and guidelines given by stewards, marshals, and safety personnel. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that the Event Organiser will organise and run the Event and will have sole authority and be the final arbiter on all decisions relating to the safety, running and organisation of the Event, the rules of the Event, the timings/finish times and the placings.
2.13 These Conditions are personal to the Participant and it may not assign any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement without the prior written consent of the Event Organiser. The Participant represents and warrants that the Entry is purchased for personal use only, that it cannot be donated free of charge or otherwise given away for free (other than by an authorised Charity for Charity Participants), and that it is not purchased as part of any form of business or commercial activity (save as expressly authorised by the Event Organiser), and in particular, that the Entry may not be resold or offered for resale by anyone whether at a premium or otherwise and may not be used for advertising, promotion use as a prize (including in competitions and sweepstakes), travel packages, or for any other trade purposes. Donation, give away, resale or attempted resale is grounds for seizure or cancellation without refund or other compensation.
2.14 The Participant acknowledges and accepts that circumstances concerning an Event may change from time to time for reasons out of the Event Organiser’s reasonable control or otherwise, without the Event Organiser incurring any liability and without any rights to withdrawal being accrued by the Participant other than set out in clause 4 below. By way of example, and for illustration purposes only, car parking arrangements, rules regarding wet suits, and issues with hotels, may arise/change but such changes/issues will not allow the Participant to withdraw and nor will the Event Organiser be deemed liable except as otherwise set out herein.
- Bookings and Payments (not applicable to Charity Participants)
3.1 In consideration for being granted the right to participate, the Participant must pay the Entry Fee set out on the Entry Form.
3.2 The Participant shall complete the Entry Form online and submit it together with payment of the Entry Fee online in accordance with the Event Organisers’ website.
3.3 The Participant shall not be eligible or entitled to participate in the Event until full payment of the Entry Fee has been received by the Event Organiser. No payment shall be deemed to have been received until the Event Organiser has received cleared funds.
- Withdrawal, Cancellations or Alterations
4.1 This clause 4 shall not apply to Third Party purchases made during the Entry Form. Any cancellation, refund or withdrawal requests must be taken up directly with the relevant Third Party.
4.2 This clause 4 shall not apply to Charity Participants. All cancellations, refunds or withdrawals by Charity Participants must be taken up directly with their designated Charity. No refunds (mentioned in this clause 4) shall be made directly to any individual Charity Participant in any case.
4.3 For all other Participants, the Event Organiser operates a 7 day cooling off period. Accordingly, the Participant is entitled to cancel his/her application to participate provided the Event Organiser receives written notice of cancellation within 7 days of payment of the Event Fee (payment being deemed made for the purposes of this clause 4.3 by clicking on the make payment link on the secure payment webpage). During this 7 day period the Participant is able to cancel its entry and receive a full refund of the Event Fee by emailing email@example.com or writing to the Event Organiser, Matrix Events Ltd, The Old Bank, Penshurst Rd, Penshurst, Kent TN11 8DB. The notice must be received before the end of the 7 day cooling off period.
4.4 The Event Organiser reserves the right to alter the start time of the Event. In the event of a change of start time the Participants will be notified of the revised start time with as much notice as reasonably practicable. No refund in full or in part shall be made for any change in start time for an Event provided the Event takes place on the specified date of the Event.
4.5 The Event Organiser reserves the right to change the date of the Event and shall notify the Participant of any such change as soon as reasonably practicable. If the Participant is unable to attend on the revised date, he/she may withdraw from the Event but will not receive a refund of the Entry Fee. For the avoidance of doubt, the Event Organiser reserves the right to alter the start date of the Event and shall notify the Participant of any such change as soon as reasonably practicable. No refund of the Entry Fee will be made in full or in part as a result of any change in the start date of the Event.
4.6 The Participant acknowledges that their Event place may not be transferred to another person. Event places are limited and payment of the Event Fee and reservation of the Event place has an effect on logistics and the subscription for the Event. Accordingly, subject to clauses 4.3 and 4.5 above, the Participant may only withdraw from the Event at any time, subject to the following:
4.6.1 If the Participant withdraws from an Event 90 days or more before the Event is scheduled to take place, he/she will receive no refund. However upon written request, the Event Organiser will put the value of the race price paid by the Participant towards any Event the following year, provided such Event takes place. There may be an additional sum to be paid if race prices increase. In the case of a Gauntlet or Bastion entry, the Event Organiser will put 50% of the value of the Entry Fee paid towards the same distance the following year. If the Participant accepts the option to defer their Entry, the Participant must notify the Event Organiser of their intent to take up the deferred Event place and must complete the online Entry Form no later than 30 days prior to the following year’s Event to secure their Event place. The Participant shall only be entitled to defer their entry once and for the following year.
4.6.2 If a Participant pulls out of the Event between 89 days and 8 days before the Event he/she will receive no refund from the Event Organiser and will not be entitled to a deferred Event place. However upon written request, the Event Organiser will reserve an Event place at the same Event the following year, subject to the Participant completing an Entry Form and paying the applicable Entry Fee for such event within the stipulated time limits for such event. The Participant must notify the Event Organiser of their intent to take up the Event place no later than 30 days prior to the following year’s Event or within the stipulated time limits for such event, whichever is earlier.
4.6.3 If the Participant cancels their Event place at the Event within 7 days or less to the Event or if the Participant fails to register for the Event he/she will not be entitled to a refund, deferred option or a reserved entry for any future race or Event.
4.7 Specific events – If the Participant cancels a Training Day or if the Participant fails to register for the Event he/she will receive no refund or Event place at a different date.
4.8 The Event Organiser reserves the right to allow the Participant to move their Event to another Event in the same year. The Participant shall provide a written request stating clearly the desire to move to another Event. A £10.00 administration charge will levied by the Event Organiser.
4.9 Notice of withdrawal from the Event must be communicated by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org stating clearly your desire to withdraw and putting the word WITHDRAWAL in subject line of the email, or by writing to the Event Organiser at Matrix Events The Old Bank, Penshurst Rd, Penshurst, Kent TN11 8DB. Withdrawals WILL NOT be accepted by telephone. Date of receipt of notice will dictate what is offered for the following year in accordance with this clause 4.
4.10 Should Event places in any category for the Event be oversubscribed, the Event Organiser reserves the right to either offer the Participant an Event place in a suitable alternative category for such Event or withdraw the offer of an Event place.
4.11 In the event the Event Organiser withdraws the offer of an Event place to the Participant in the Event for any reason at any time it will provide the Participant with a full refund of the Event Fee, with no further liability whatsoever arising from such withdrawal. Notwithstanding this clause 4.11 no refund shall be made where otherwise set out herein (including (but not limited to) for the avoidance of doubt clauses 2.3, 2.7 and 2.8).
4.12 The Event Organiser reserves the right to amend the Event format at their sole discretion (such as by way of illustration from a Triathlon to a Dual Discipline Event or other suitable Event or race format) or cancel the Event due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control or for any safety related reason. In the event of the Event being cancelled there shall be no refund to the Participant with no further liability whatsoever arising from such cancellation. If the event is changed to a Dual Discipline Event or other format the Participant will not be entitled to any refund and there shall be no further liability whatsoever arising from such change of format.
4.13 The withdrawal policy set out in this clause 4 does not apply to Charity Participants whose Event places are the property of the Charity. All Charity Participants should revert to their chosen charity for further information or queries concerning withdrawal, cancellation or refunds.
- Event Organiser Responsibilities/Liability
5.1 Notwithstanding anything in these Conditions the Event Organiser shall not be liable to the Participant for any liability in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for any loss of business, revenue or profits, anticipated savings or wasted expenditure, loss or damage of or to personal equipment belonging to the Participant or any indirect or consequential loss or damage whatsoever (notwithstanding that such loss was within the contemplation of the parties at the date of submitting the Entry Form) arising out of the Participant taking part in the Event or any other matter arising under these Conditions nor for an aggregate amount greater than the Event Fee paid by the Participant. Without limiting the foregoing, the Event Organiser will not be liable for any actions of any spectators or other third parties unless otherwise set out herein.
5.2 Accordingly the Participant hereby expressly and irrevocably renounces, for him/herself, heirs and successors in title the right to any recourse or claims whatsoever against the Event Organiser, its officers, employees, suppliers and/or sponsors and/or persons for whom it is answerable (“Associated Parties”) as a result of any kind of physical, mental or other loss or damage of whatsoever nature (including any loss of earnings, profits, or pain and suffering) suffered by the Participant, directly or indirectly, or by his/her family or by any dependents and caused by an event in any way relating to the Participant’s participation in Event, and the Participant hereby undertakes, for him/herself, heirs and successors in title to indemnify and hold harmless the Event Organiser, and the Associated Parties for any costs and/or amount, which they or any of them may be required to pay as a result of any aforesaid recourse or claim by whomsoever made. The Participant also agrees to indemnify the Event Organiser and the Associated Parties for any claim, actions, liabilities or losses resulting from any breach of the Participant’s declarations above and/or the Participant’s negligent acts or omissions and/or wilful misconduct.
5.3 Nothing in these Conditions shall exclude or limit the liability of the Event Organiser:
5.3.1 for death or personal injury caused by the Event Organiser’s negligence;
5.3.2 for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
5.3.3 for any matter which it would be illegal for the Event Organiser to exclude or attempt to exclude liability.
5.4 This clause 5 shall be read and construed and shall have effect subject to any limitation imposed by any applicable law.
- Publicity and Results
6.1 The Participant irrevocably consents to:
6.1.1 his/her appearance in the Event being filmed, recorded, incorporated and exploited in whole or in part in any television programme, film, video or broadcast of whatever nature by all means and in all media and formats now or invented after the date of these Conditions; and
6.1.2 the use and reproduction of the Participant’s name, likeness, appearance and photographs, films and recordings by all means and in all media for the purpose of advertising, publicity and otherwise in relation to the exploitation of the Event (and future events) and/or the promotion of the Event (and future events) and the commercial rights relating to the Event (and future events) provided that such use does not imply direct endorsement by the Participant of any official sponsor or supplier of the Event.
6.2 Any film, photographs (by camera or mobile phone), or any other recording of moving or still picture, and all intellectual property in connection therewith (including but not limited to copyright) shall remain the property of the Event Organiser, and where such intellectual property does not automatically vest in the Event Organiser, these Conditions shall constitute a legally binding assignment thereof and/or the Participant shall sign all reasonable documentation required to give affect thereto. Accordingly any such recording shall not be used other than for private use without the Event Organiser’s prior written consent.
6.3 The Event Organiser will use best endeavours to provide an Event Finish Time Results for the Participant however it cannot be held responsible for any computer result anomalies or any technical malfunctions.
6.4 The Participant is made aware that the Event Organiser may make use of drones for the production of aerial video and photography. The Participant acknowledges that the drones may fly within less than 30m of the Participant before, during, or after the event and, by agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, authorises this use by the Event Organiser and or their subcontractors.
7.1 These Conditions (and the documents referred to therein) constitute the entire agreement and understanding of the parties and supersede any previous agreement between the parties relating to the Event. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that in submitting the Entry Form (and the documents referred to therein) it does not rely on, and shall have no remedy in respect of, any statement, representation, warranty, understanding, promise or assurance (whether negligently or innocently made) of any person (whether party to these Conditions or not) other than as expressly set out in these Conditions.
7.2 Nothing in these Conditions shall constitute or be deemed to constitute a partnership between the parties hereto or constitute or be deemed to constitute either party as agent of the other for any purpose whatsoever and neither party shall have authority or power to bind the other or to contract in the name of the other in any way or for any purpose.
7.3 No waiver by either party of a breach or a default hereunder shall be effective unless in writing and signed by both parties and any such waiver shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any subsequent breach or default of the same or similar nature.
7.4 To the extent permitted by law all provisions of these Conditions shall be severable and no provision shall be affected by the invalidity or unenforceability of any other provision with the remaining provisions if necessary, being so amended as shall be necessary to give effect to the spirit of these Conditions so far as possible.
7.5 These Conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and any dispute arising hereunder shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Macmillan Cancer Support Terms & Conditions – Castle Triathlon Series
- _ For this Challenge you pledge to raise a minimum sponsorship target. Sponsorship targets vary and depend on your chosen distance; £150 for 10K run only events, £200 for all other run only events and all swim only events, £500 for the Gauntlet or Bastion, and £350 for all other races. This does not include Junior events. This pledge excludes any registration fee or gift aid. This sponsorship money should be received by Macmillan Cancer Support within one month of the Challenge. All funds raised through the Challenge must be payable to Macmillan Cancer Support in £ sterling. The objective is to raise as much sponsorship as possible.
- _You confirm that you are medically fit and that you participate in the event at your own risk. Macmillan Cancer Support will not be held responsible for injury or illness resulting from your participation.
- _You understand that it is your responsibility to read any terms and conditions issued by the race organisers and to comply with these.
- _You confirm you will be the minimum age on race day, as dictated by the race organisers. [If you are under 18, you confirm that you have informed a parent or guardian that you have joined Team Macmillan and are fundraising for this event.]
- _You acknowledge that Macmillan Cancer Support may incur costs as a result of you joining Team Macmillan (e.g. cost of producing and sending fundraising pack/technical kit) for this challenge. The objective is to raise as much sponsorship as possible.
- _Should you, for whatever reason, not take your Charity Place, all sponsorship forms and monies collected should be forwarded to Macmillan Cancer Support or returned to your sponsors.
- _When completing the Entry From for a Charity Place and or making a Donation, you have provided Macmillan with information about you and consent to Macmillan using this data. You understand that it will be necessary for Macmillan and Castle Triathlon Series to share the data with one another in order to participate in this event.
- _We do not sell or swap your details with any third parties, but in order to carry out our work we may need to pass your details to service companies authorised to act on our behalf.
- _We will keep your details on our database so we can provide you with the best possible support every time you contact us.
- _Macmillan Cancer Support would like to contact you (including by telephone) about our fundraising, campaigning and services for people affected by cancer. If you would prefer us not to use your details in this way please write to Macmillan Cancer Support, 89 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7UQ, email on email@example.com or telephone us on 0300 1000 200.
- _Any complaints can be made using our online feedback form, in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0300 1000 200 as soon as possible after the event.
Yellow Jersey Terms and Conditions
GROUP PEDAL CYCLE AND EVENT FEE INSURANCE
Castle Triathlon Series Participants opting-in to “INSURANCE: BOOKING FEE PROTECTION AND EVENT DAY BIKE COVER“ during the Entry Form, are being included under a group policy arranged by Yellow Jersey via Tradewise Insurance. The group policy is purchased by Castle Triathlon Series on behalf of its Participants and covers ONLY those that have opted-in and contributed to its cost during the Entry Form. Those opted-in CTS participants will be insured for any loss or damage to their property that occurs during period of insurance only.
Insurance Policy Wording
This document is a legally binding contract of Insurance between you and us.
We agree to insure your participants under the terms, conditions and exceptions contained in this policy wording and outlined in the policy schedule
Your participants are insured for any loss or damage that occurs during the period of insurance for which you have paid, or agreed to pay a premium and for which they have opted-in
Unless we have agreed otherwise with you, this Insurance is governed by English law.
The following words or phrases highlighted by the use of bold print have the same meaning whenever they appear in this document, the schedule and endorsements.
Abandonment, Abandoned – when a pedal cycle is left a transition area awaiting use during an organised competitive triathlon or cycling event for more than 48 hours.
Accessories – pedal cycle related equipment owned by you and used in conjunction with the pedal cycle disclosed on the schedule which are not essential to its operation – including but not limited to; saddle bags, bike computers, bottle cages, bottles, clip on tri bars and additional wheels not in use.
Accident / Accidental Damage– A sudden or unexpected crash, fall or impact whilst using or transporting your pedal cycle which causes damage to you and/or your pedal cycle, during the period of insurance.
Adult – person who has reached the age of 18 years.
Evidence of Ownership – original purchase receipt showing details of the pedal cycle or approved lock showing the date & price paid.
Family – parents, spouse, partner, son, daughter or siblings, who permanently live with your participant.
Malicious Damage – intentional damage caused by a third party.
Participant – a subscriber to your terms of business who is a participant in one of your events and who has agreed to abide by your terms and whose name is entered in the register of participants who has agreed to be covered by the terms of this policy
Pedal Cycle(s) – any bicycle, tricycle, tandem or trailer cycle powered by human pedalling and/or battery which is not subject to the requirements of the Road Traffic Act, including all components, equipment upgrades, or cycle related equipment which form part of the pedal cycle and are essential to its operation and which are owned by your participant or for which your participant is legally responsible.
Period of Insurance – the period for which this policy is in force as shown on the schedule, participants are covered for a 48 hour period starting the day before the event they have entered at 00:01 and ending on the day of the event at 23:59.
- Any respiratory condition (relating to the lungs or breathing), heart condition, stroke, Crohn’s disease, epilepsy, allergy, or cancer for which you have ever received treatment (including surgery, tests or investigations by a doctor or a consultant/ specialist or prescribed medication).
- Any psychiatric or psychological condition (including anxiety, stress and depression) for which you have suffered which you have received medical advice or treatment or been prescribed medication for in the last five years.
- Any medical condition for which you have received surgery, in-patient treatment or investigations in a hospital or clinic within the last 12 months, or for which you are prescribed medication.
- Any disease, illness or injury you are aware of but for which you have not had a diagnosis.
Schedule – the document showing the details of the insured person & the cover provided.
Race Cover – Cover is provided for claims arising out of the use of a pedal cycle in an organised event
Sum Insured – the monetary amount set out on the schedule
Terrorism – an act, or the threat of an act, by any person or group of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation or government, that:
- a)Is committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes; and
- b)Is intended to influence any government or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear; and
- c) involves violence against one or more persons; or
- involves damage to property; or
iii. endangers life other than that of the person committing the action; or
- creates a risk to health or safety of the public or a section of the public; or
- is designed to interfere with or to disrupt an electronic system.
Transition area – is an area that excludes all other persons apart from competitors and officials (check in crew, security crew, direction/flow marshals). It must have some form of barrier / fencing to form a compound; rope or marker tape is not sufficient
United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.
Value – may be defined by using one of the following circumstances:
- a) The price in GBP which you paid to purchase a new or second handpedal cycle including the sum of any parts which you purchased and which form part of your pedal cycle (including VAT).
- b) Theprice in GBP which you paid to purchase new or second hand pedal cycle
- c) For vintage or antiquepedal cycles, which are of particular worth due to their age, style or collectability, the sum shown in any valuation you provide to us, provided that such valuation is less than three years old and has been provided by a vintage cycle retailer or other suitably qualified valuation expert.
- d) The undiscounted replacement cost for apedal cycle which when purchased as new benefited from a significant and one-off discount.
- e) For custom builds the price paid for the sum of the parts excluding labour costs.
We/Us/Our – the insurers named in the schedule of insurance.
You/Your – the insured person named on the schedule whose business is registered in the United Kingdom.
Section 1: Theft from transition
Theft or Malicious Damage from a transition area for up to 24 hours awaiting use during an organised competitive triathlon or cycling event.
What is Covered
We will, at our discretion, pay the cost of repair, or the monetary replacement value, or arrange for repair or replacement to be effected. Our liability shall not exceed the lower of the sum insured detailed on your schedule or the value of your pedal cycle. We may use specialist suppliers for repair or replacement chosen by us. A report from the race organiser must be provided to us, confirming that your pedal cycle was stored in a transition area and that your pedal cycle has been stolen or maliciously damaged.
What is not Covered
- Helmets, glasses, wetsuits, accessories or clothing,
- Theft or malicious damage unless you can provide evidence of ownership. Other forms of evidence of ownership, other than a receipt, will be accepted at our
- Theft or malicious damage unless you have provided a statement from the race organiser.
- Theft from outside the transition area.
Section 2: Accidental damage
What is Covered
We will, at our discretion, pay the cost of repair, or the monetary replacement value, or arrange for repair or replacement to be effected. Our liability shall not exceed the lower of the sum insured detailed on your schedule or the value of your pedal cycle. We may use specialist suppliers for repair or replacement chosen by us. We may use carbon repair specialists to evaluate structural damage.
What is not Covered
- Helmets, glasses, wetsuits, accessories or clothing,
- Accidental damage when loaned or hired out byyour participant to any other person
- Any accidental damage following
- Any accidental damage claims for marring, scratching, denting or cosmetic changes.
- Any accidental damage claims for a pedal cycle frame unless there are visible signs of structural damage.
- Any gradually operating cause including but not limited to damage caused by wear and tear, wet or dry rot, atmospheric or climatic conditions, frost, insects, vermin, corrosion, rust, dust, contamination, change in colour of finish, chemical reaction, marring, scratching, denting, cosmetic changes, dampness, dryness, shrinkage or evaporation.
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown or defect or electronic malfunction.
- Failure to use or maintain thepedal cycle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Faulty or defective design, materials or workmanship or latent defect and defects in operation.
Section 3: Entry fee protection cover
What is Covered
We will pay the Entry Fee costs, less any refunds due from the organiser, for the event to protect participants against situations or losses that result from sudden and unexpected events as outlined below:
- Any serious injury or any unforeseen serious illness occurring to your participant which results in them being unable to attend an event for which they have entered. Your participant must be examined by a physician and the physician must advise them in writing not to attend the event.
- Any serious injury or any unforeseen serious illness occurring a participant’s family which requires them to provide primary care to that person. Your participant’s family member must be examined by a physician and evidence provided.
- Any serious injury or any unforeseen serious illness occurring to your family member that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalisation. Your family member must be examined by a physician and evidence provided.
- The death of a family member on or within thirty (30) days prior to the event date.
- Your participant being required to serve on a jury or served with a court order which requires their appearance in court on the day of the event, and which prevents them from attending the event.
- Your participant’s home is made uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism, or natural disasters.
- Your participant is directly involved in a traffic accident on the day of the event that causes either:
1) Injury to them; or
2) Damage to their vehicle that creates an immediate need for repair to ensure the its safe operation
- Your participant being on active military duty and having personal leave revoked, except for disciplinary reasons.
- Your participant, after having been with the same employer for at least three continuous years, are terminated or laid off, except for disciplinary reasons, after the effective date of coverage.
- Your participant not arriving at the venue due to a delay by a common carrier used for transportation.
- Your participant automobile having a mechanical breakdown within 24 hours of the event which results in the vehicle being unable to be driven to the event.
- Your participant’s place of work is made unsuitable for business by fire, burglary, vandalism or natural disasters within 48 hours prior to the event.
What is not Covered
- Pre-Existing conditions;
- If your participant cannot provide a doctor’s report for injury or illness dated within 72hrs of the cancellation;
- If your participant is prevented from travelling due to disruption of the public transport network which is public knowledge 24 hours prior to the event.
- Intentionally self-inflicted harm, suicide or attempted suicide;
- Normal pregnancy, fertility treatments, childbirth or elective abortion, other than unforeseen complications of pregnancy of your participants or their family
- Mental or nervous health disorders, including but not limited to: anxiety, depression, neurosis or psychosis; or physical complications related thereto of your participants or their family;
- Alcohol or substance abuse; or conditions or physical complications related thereto of your participants or their family
- Any unlawful acts committed by your participants or their family whether they are insured or not;
- Your participant a) making changes to personal plans or b) having a business or contractual obligation;
- The event being cancelled or delayed by the venue or promoter for any reason (including bad weather)
- Prohibition or regulation by any government;
- Lost or stolen tickets, entry forms
- Any expected or foreseeable events.
- If your participants give incorrect data or facts
- If the loss is not submitted to us within 14 days from the date of loss, except as otherwise prohibited by law.
General Exclusions (applicable to all sections)
The following conditions apply to the whole of this policy. Any other conditions are shown in the section to which they apply.
This certificate of insurance does not provide cover for any accidental damage or theft or any expenses of legal liability of whatsoever nature, directly or indirectly caused, contributed to by or happening though or in the consequence of:
- Any claim where evidence of ownership cannot be provided for the pedal cycle.
- Any act of fraud or dishonesty by you, your participant(s) or anyone acting on your or your participant(s)
- War, invasion, terrorism, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether or not war has been declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power.
- Ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel, or from any nuclear waste from burning nuclear fuel.
- Radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- Pressure waves from aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at supersonic speeds.
- Suicide, attempted suicide or deliberate injury to yourself or putting yourself in unnecessary danger (unless trying to save human life).
- Solvent use, being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, except those prescribed by a registered doctor, or drugs which have been prescribed by a registered doctor and not those prescribed for drug addiction.
- Engaging in any criminal act.
- Any claim where evidence of ownership cannot be provided for the pedal cycle
- Natural disasters
- Financial Default;
- Epidemic or Pandemic;
- Pollution or threat of pollutant release;
In order that this contract may be issued as evidence of the policy of insurance, the Insurers mentioned in your schedule of insurance have entered into an agreement. This agreement empowers Tradewise Insurance Company Limited to issue this document.
Basis of Claim Settlement
We will indemnify your participants under each policy section that is shown on your schedule, up to but not exceeding the amount shown. We may choose whether to replace, repair or pay for any loss.
You and your participants must accept that we may appoint a specialist to investigate any claim on our behalf.
You and your participants must retain any damaged property for inspection unless we have advised otherwise.
In the event of theft, attempted theft, vandalism or malicious acts your participants must notify the police immediately.
Your participants may be asked to supply the following items in the event of a theft claim; the remains of an approved lock, a purchase receipt for the approved lock and all keys for the approved lock
We will pay the cost of repair or pay the cost of replacement as new or at our discretion will arrange for repair or replacement to be effected. Our liability shall not exceed the lower of the sum insured detailed on the schedule of cover or the value of the pedal cycle(s) less any excess as indicated under the claims excess section.
Upon settlement of a claim for loss or damage where the pedal cycle has been recovered or is deemed a total loss we have the right to take and keep possession of any part or the entire pedal cycle and deal with the salvage in a reasonable manner, but your participant shall not abandon any pedal cycle to us. In the instance of a pedal cycle being recovered after a theft it is your participant’s responsibility to notify us.
CLAIMS – IMPORTANT ADVICE IF YOUR PARTICIPANTS ARE INVOLVED IN AN INCIDENT THAT MIGHT LEAD TO A CLAIM IT IS IMPERATIVE TO REPARTICIPANT THE FOLLOWING:
- Always exchange details with the other cyclists, including names, addresses
- Obtain witness details
- Your participant should not discuss whose fault theaccident was or accept any responsibility
- Do not answer directly any correspondence received from any representatives of the other parties involved.
- Ensure this correspondence is submitted to Yellow Jersey without delay
- All thefts must be reported to the Police and a Crime Reference obtained
Your participants will need to provide the following information:
- Policy Number – YJMB0000107
- Details of the event entered
- Their personal details
- Details of any other parties
- Names and addresses for any witnesses
- Full details of what happened
It is a condition of the policy for all parties to provide all information and assistance we may require during the course of our investigations. Failure to do so may result in unnecessary delays and expense being incurred or a claim not being paid.